Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane is hopeful that Eden Hazard will return to full fitness ahead of the club’s Champions League clash against Manchester City next month.
The Belgium international joined Los Blancos from Chelsea in a club-record deal last summer, but he has since been restricted to only 21 appearances for the club across all competitions.
Hazard has picked up multiple injuries during his debut campaign and that includes a bone fracture in his ankle, prior to the coronavirus shutdown in March.
With the season resumption last month, Hazard was able to make the starting XI in four of the club’s first five league games, but he has barely featured under Zidane ever since.
In the final six games of the league season, Hazard was restricted to only 70 minutes of playing time and he was not even in the matchday squad during the 2-2 draw against Leganes earlier today.
Speaking after the result, Zidane confirmed that Hazard is struggling with a knock, but he is optimistic of the Belgian making a complete recovery before the Cityzens clash on August 7.
“I think Eden had little [injury] problems recently because, when he finished playing [against Villarreal], he had problems; he didn’t end well,” He told.
“I hope that, with this break, he recovers completely. Those that know about this, about looking after players, will try to get Eden well again.”
Los Blancos are trailing Manchester City by a 2-1 scoreline after the first leg of the Champions League round of 16. They are scheduled to face the Cityzens in the return leg at the Etihad Stadium on August 7.
Zidane’s side have been in top form since the restart with 10 wins and one draw from their 11 matches and that should give them confidence heading into the encounter, where they need at least two goals to stay alive in the tie.
Hazard has a good record against the Premier League outfit with four goals and six assists from his 18 meetings and his availability would provide Los Blancos with an extra-dimension to their game.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Atletico Madrid vs Real Sociedad – La Liga Preview
- Champions League Semi-Final: Chelsea vs Real Madrid Preview
- La Liga 4-way title race and fantasy football picks for this weekend
- Villarreal vs Barcelona – La Liga Preview, Team News & Predicted Line-ups
- La Liga ESL decision rests on presidents’ shoulders
- Ronald Koeman wins first trophy as Barcelona head coach
- Spanish chances of a European double are still on
- La Liga’s Top Five Players Since January 2021
- Barcelona v PSG Preview: 5 Things to Watch Out For
- Barcelona must sell Coutinho, even if Messi leaves