Real Madrid have decided against a move for Chelsea winger Willian despite the fact that he could be available on a free transfer at the end of the season, The Mirror reports.
The Brazil international is currently contracted to the west London outfit until June 30 but the club are expected to offer a short-term extension until the end of the campaign, which has been delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Still, it appears unlikely that the winger will stay with the Blues next season, considering they have already refused to meet his demands for a three-year contract extension.
As per The Mirror, Los Blancos manager Zinedine Zidane remains an admirer of the 31-year-old but he won’t make the move to secure his services on a Bosman deal.
The Madrid giants obviously have numerous wide attacking options in their squad and they are probably in a position, where they may need to consider offloading some of their players.
While Eden Hazard and Gareth Bale are the most high-profile wingers in the squad, the capital outfit also have Rodrygo, Vinicius Junior, Marco Asensio and Lucas Vazquez in their ranks.
Vazquez and Bale are probably the least preferred by Zidane but the club’s prospects of offloading the latter appear unlikely due to his staggering £350,000 a week wages after tax.
In such a situation, it is quite clear that the club don’t require another winger in their squad, who may have to settle for a reduced role with the quality of talent at Zidane’s disposal.
A Premier League stay could be a solution for Willian next season with both Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal interested in signing him. It is unclear whether they can match his current £120,000-a-week salary amid the financial impact of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Willian has been a regular starter under manager Frank Lampard this campaign. He has scored seven goals and registered a further six assists from 37 appearances across all competitions.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Can Barcelona afford to sign Lionel Messi?
- Real Madrid face Barcelona in first ever ‘El Clasico’ at AT&T Stadium
- Preview: Chelsea vs Real Madrid – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Athletic Bilbao vs Barcelona Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Al Ahly vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Real Sociedad vs Athletic Bilbao Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- La Liga in December 2022: Fixtures & Restart Date
- Spain’s chances at the 2022 World Cup
- Rayo Vallecano vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Can Barcelona find a way past Real Madrid in title race?