La Liga have introduced new broadcast initiatives in a bid to make the league more interesting to viewers in Spain and around the world.
As part of these initiatives, clubs in the Spanish top-flight have given access to scenes and areas where cameras have never been allowed before.
It was because of the new regulations that television audiences watched Barcelona coach Xavi Hernandez instructing his team to play “one or two touches” to breach Getafe’s defence at the weekend.
Football fans also witnessed Villarreal boss Quique Setien exchanging a friendly conversation with Real Betis manager Manuel Pellegrini before their match at El Madrigal.
All 19 La Liga clubs collaborated with the new initiatives apart from Real Madrid who boycotted all interactions with rights holders.
The Athletic are reporting Los Blancos face a €13 million financial hit if they continue refusing to take part in the extra “voluntary” features.
The 14-time Champions League winners had no cameras in their dressing room on Saturday when they kicked off their 2023-24 season with a 2-0 win over Athletic Club, available to watch via La Liga live streams.
There was also no informal pre-game televised chat between Carlo Ancelotti and Ernesto Valverde at San Mames.
It remains to be seen whether Real decide to change their policy for their next fixture at Almeria, as €13m is a significant sum even for Los Blancos who boast an annual income of well over €800m.
- La Liga’s 2023 Ballon D’Or nominees
- Real Madrid could miss out on €13m for boycotting La Liga’s new broadcast initiatives
- La Liga 2023/24 Season Preview: Real Madrid fancied to topple Barcelona
- Five La Liga pre-season fixtures to watch in July
- Can Barcelona afford to sign Lionel Messi?
- Real Madrid face Barcelona in first ever ‘El Clasico’ at AT&T Stadium
- Preview: Chelsea vs Real Madrid – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Athletic Bilbao vs Barcelona Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Al Ahly vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Real Sociedad vs Athletic Bilbao Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups