Spanish La Liga clubs got to know their opponents for the round of 16 of the Champions League after the draw was made at the UEFA headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland on Monday afternoon.
Barcelona have been drawn alongside Paris Saint-Germain and that is definitely the tie to watch out, particularly after the Blaugrana’s stunning 6-5 aggregate triumph over the French champions in the same round three years ago.
The Blaugrana suffered an embarrassing 4-0 defeat in the first leg in Paris, but no one would have predicted that they would make a stunning comeback with a 6-1 triumph at home. Neymar, who is now with Les Parisiens, was the star for the Blaugrana on that historical night with two goals and two assists to his name.
Elsewhere, Atletico Madrid face familiar opposition in the form of Chelsea. The clubs have faced each other six times in the competition since 2009 and it will be intriguing to watch whether Diego Simeone’s side can get the better of the Blues. They have beaten them on just occasion in the past.
Real Madrid have been pitted alongside Atalanta. The Serie A outfit have endured mixed fortunes in the league where they are eighth on the table, but they are still a tricky opposition to face for Los Blancos with their attacking brand of football.
The Bergamo-based club registered one of the results of the campaign with a stunning 2-0 win at Liverpool last month. They had lost the home meeting by a 5-0 scoreline, but avenged the result at Anfield where they restricted the English champions to zero shots on target.
Finally, Europa League holders Sevilla will be up against Borussia Dortmund. Julen Lopetegui’s side face the threat from young sensation Erling Haaland, who has been in superb touch with 17 goals from 14 outings including six from just four group stage matches.
Here is the final Champions League round of 16 draw:
La Liga teams:
Barcelona v Paris Saint-Germain
Atletico Madrid v Chelsea
Sevilla v Borussia Dortmund
Atalanta v Real Madrid
Other European sides:
Borussia Monchengladbach v Manchester City
Lazio v Bayern Munich
RB Leipzig v Liverpool
Porto v Juventus
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and UEFA.com
- Can Barcelona afford to sign Lionel Messi?
- Real Madrid face Barcelona in first ever ‘El Clasico’ at AT&T Stadium
- Preview: Chelsea vs Real Madrid – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Athletic Bilbao vs Barcelona Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Al Ahly vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Real Sociedad vs Athletic Bilbao Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- La Liga in December 2022: Fixtures & Restart Date
- Spain’s chances at the 2022 World Cup
- Rayo Vallecano vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Can Barcelona find a way past Real Madrid in title race?