Barcelona head coach Quique Setien believes Real Madrid are unlikely to win their remaining nine games of the league season and will drop points at some point of time.
The Blaugrana played out a frustrating 0-0 draw against Sevilla on Friday night and that has meant that they have handed the advantage to Los Blancos in the title race.
The Catalan giants currently hold a three-point lead over Zinedine Zidane’s side at the top of the table, but they will find themselves trailing on the head-to-head record, suppose their cross-town rivals beat Real Sociedad on the road on Sunday.
As a result, the Blaugrana don’t have their title destiny in their own hands, but Setien is sure that Los Blancos won’t preserve a 100 percent win record over the remaining nine league matches of the season.
“I don’t think Real Madrid are going to win all their games either. The reality is that it doesn’t depend on us anymore, but this can change,” he was quoted as saying by Marca.
“We knew beforehand that it would be very difficult to win every game – it was practically impossible. It’s not that I’m satisfied with only getting a point, but it’s the lesser of two evils.”
Both Barcelona and Real Madrid have exchanged the top spot at different stages of the current season and their league defeats have all come away from home.
Los Blancos face Real Sociedad at the Anoeta Stadium on Sunday night and the game won’t be straightforward for them, given their recent head-to-head record against the Basque outfit.
Sociedad have won three of the previous four meetings between the sides in all competitions and that includes the 4-3 win at the Santiago Bernabeu in the Copa del Rey quarter-final in February.
Setien and his players will be hoping that Sociedad can put up another strong display against Los Blancos to deny them three points. Sociedad have their own Champions League aspirations and a victory could take them within two points of the top four.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Can Barcelona afford to sign Lionel Messi?
- Real Madrid face Barcelona in first ever ‘El Clasico’ at AT&T Stadium
- Preview: Chelsea vs Real Madrid – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Athletic Bilbao vs Barcelona Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Al Ahly vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Real Sociedad vs Athletic Bilbao Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- La Liga in December 2022: Fixtures & Restart Date
- Spain’s chances at the 2022 World Cup
- Rayo Vallecano vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Can Barcelona find a way past Real Madrid in title race?